Benefits of Outdoor lighting for security
Lights have always been a biggest enemy of burglars. Good outdoor lighting provides safety and security apart from giving warmth and welcoming look to our homes and gardens. Outdoor lighting around our home will make it a safer place to walk after dark, helping to deter crime. Security experts have found that outdoor lights are the most effective security systems available. Outdoors security lighting gets so easily blended with our outside decor that they provide a hidden way of discouraging burglars in further advancing their act. Outdoor light are much cheaper way of providing security compare to other electronic security product like an intruder alarm systems. A motion detecting outdoor security light can even save on energy by providing on demand security lighting needs.
Outdoor security lightings varieties
There are many types of lighting systems on the market that fit to any taste and budget. However Traditional styled outdoor lights with motion sensors are the most popular. Some motion detecting outdoor lights can be controlled for their sensitivity to avoid being activated by any neighborhood dogs and cats and local wildlife. Some other variations are lights that shine dimly all night and turn on brightly when motion is sensed. Also outdoor lights with mini video cameras that records photos on sensing motions are available in the market. Some of us may choose lights with a motion sensor that unleashes a high frequency noise when the light comes on. Then there are Solar-powered lights which use self generated solar power to light up in the night hours and of the same range, LED outdoor security lights which are long lasting and energy efficient. Cost and security objective are going to be the main factor in deciding which type of security outdoor lights works better for your home and family
The process of securing using outdoor lights
Designing and setting up outdoor security lighting should start from your home’s front walk and driveway. Having security lights at the front door is one of the main positions to consider. If possible a motion detecting one could be the perfect one. Or the best could be a combination of simple outdoor light and second with motion detection. The former can be attached to a manual inside switch for you to turn on before opening the door and the latter connected just situated at the entrance of your home gate. If you have a large garden or front way that requires surveillance, you can install large floodlights with motion detectors. Installing low-voltage landscaping lights is also a good idea offering both simple and inexpensive means of securing your home. It enhances the appearance of your home and increases safety. The driveway should have proper illumination other than the small light that sits inside your garage to show the interior when you lift up the garage door and prepare to drive in. Here a motion detecting dim light can be very useful. Also house backyard or basement should not be a dark and isolate space with all the junk and craps hidden there. Instead, consider placing security lights at strategic places to illuminate as much of the place as possible. For example, one set over the junk furnitures will not only help discourage thieves from taking them but also make it safer for you to go out in the middle of the night if you need to make emergency repairs. Another light set over your back door will also keep burglars alert over your security methods. Finally a good circuit light drive around the house to light up dim alleyways and discourage loiterers could be advantageous. Try to connect atleast the front door and drive way light with a small battery powered backup in case of power failure. This option will offer you greater security and safety overall.
Some last minute thought
- To ensure that you are getting the maximum benefit and effect from your outdoor lighting, clean exposed bulbs several times during the season. The wind spreads dirt and pollen that build up on bulbs, causing a light loss of up to 40 percent.
- When choosing outdoor lights, select one that are of quality make and can withstand weathering, harsh outdoor conditions.
- Cut down all vegetation around your outdoor security lights to the point lights can really brighten up the space or person when their facing right in front of it.
- If you have batter operated as backup power for outdoor security lights, be sure to check the batteries regularly to maintain their efficiency and keep them clean and at full capacity.
- Always keep replacement bulbs handy for any un towards failure of security lights.
- You can give a call to your local security officer for more guidance on securing your homes which can provide you with more ideas on outdoor security lightsWith increasing concerns about home safety sweeping our homes, most of us are looking for many ways to secure our homes and protect our families. Outdoor security lights can prove an inexpensive and effective way to deter the burglars as well as discourage any unwanted visitors